18 August 2020

August 18: Dedicated to ... {sigh} no dedication tonight

Short hot run/walk 
before my ZOOM book club discussion
Solo

Distant

Paranoid
Just prior to my run, I saw a bunch of neighborhood kids 
( 5 or 6 ) looking in the sliding glass 
basement door of the vacant house next door 
they ran when they saw me see them. 
I went over and they had dropped a brick 
there on the lawn by the glass. 
If I hadn't stepped out into my yard at just that point
they'd have smashed the glass door

Just like somebody smashed the windshield 
on the car in that driveway sometime 
maybe a few weeks ago
Probably those same kids
Wish I'd had my camera
I'd have taken photos 
of them trespassing in the yard 
 running away up the hill
Scare them straight
Yeah, I was a kid, 
and a brat, too. 
But I didn't smash windshields or try to break into houses.

No comments: