13 April 2020

April 13: Dedicated to New Jersey

My socially solo physically distant 
"I didn't expect to be able to walk today 
due to dangerous weather advisory 
from 6 am to 6 pm 
so I worked on cleaning up our patio instead" 
is dedicated to New Jersey. 
State of my birth. 
State where I lived until I left for college 
(after that I moved to NYC)
State where my mom lived from 1963 until her death, 
just 18 days after 9/11. 
 
The Garden State. 
(Shut up! 
There are good reasons why that's Jersey's nickname. Have you ever tasted a Jersey tomato? I rest my case.) 
Bruce Springsteen. 
"Jersey Girl" (by Tom Waits, not Bruce). 
Yeah. I'm a Jersey Girl. 
As of April 7, there were 208 COVID-19 cases 
and 15 deaths in Livingston, where we lived. 
Other municipalities have it worse, I know.
But this, for me, is close to home.

No comments: